Crystal Clear International Calls without Internet Access

Thread: Manila

+ Add Report
Page 37 of 861 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 137 537 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Unique Culture

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kost  [View Original Post]
    I recall an occasion a few years ago when I was to be met by a woman at the airport after about 26 hours of travel from the states. She insisted she had never been to terminal one, so a friend who had been an OFW to Japan would travel with her. Oh great! Now I had been with the woman once before, so I knew what I was getting into with her, literally and figuratively. But when I found her in the crowd waiting behind the fence at the lower taxi level, she was accompanied by three people: the girlfriend, a bakla friend, and her mother. I still don't know why her mother was there; perhaps to give blessing to her daughter's impending fornication with me.
    There is a long custome in Philippine which is called as "Chaperon" (A french word)

It was pretty common custom in Europe during Middle Age that a woman do not go outside by herself. I heard that this custom started in Philippines from the time of colonization by Spain. In those days, to avoid getting raped by Spanish conquerer, girls always accompanied with friends or family members when they go out. That tradition still exists in Philippines.

If the girl is professional SW, then she will directly head to your room without any companion. However, if it is non-pro and it is your first meeting, you should consider that she have a chance to bring a friend, uncle, aunt, mom, or what-so-ever.

FF, there were some interesting words in that post. Fortunately, I'd read a few things about Hall and didn't need to pull out a dictionary.

No offense to the scholars, but explanations of Hall's work often use the terms high-context, low context. Hall's writings have helped me make sense of "logic" in Asia. For those of you who haven't already done so, search "hall, high context" and you'll find plenty to read. I find it fascinating, but I'm sure some of the readers here are already wondering why we aren't talking about "poossy", or "manila". Sorry.

Rk, has a good point. I would say that globalization and the mass media affect this cultural phenomena, as well as other things. It's not black and white, it's many shades of grey / gray. The old cliche about the Philippines,"500 years of Cathalicism. 100 years of Hollywood" would of course apply here.

If anyone wants to continue cross cultural topic discussion, maybe we should move to the "general" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FreebieFan  [View Original Post]
    I thought I had a reasonable vocabulary but you very well educated chaps have an entire language with which I'm totally unfamiliar.

Reports

FreebieFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Kilt  [View Original Post]
    pinays as part of any polychronic cultural group in this present society.

Very quickly adopt a monochronic approach when it matters.
    I thought I had a reasonable vocabulary but you very well educated chaps have an entire language with which I'm totally unfamiliar.

The female "getting ready" illustration was probably misplaced,
    Most of the wasted time is her drying her long hair after showering; I've found a lot of girls don't like to leave my place with wet hair since apparently others attach a just-got-fucked stigma to it. Her worries are even greater, and likely more well founded, if she's leaving for home where her parents, siblings or partner live. There's an easy remedy to this: buy a hairdryer.

And to Skip, that was an insightful read. Thanks for posting.

I really wanted to spare readers this abstract explanation. I have attached a more detailed explanation below for those who care about it. But I contend the difference in time orientation is worth considering for anybody who crash lands in the Philippines bearing a "right now" Western time orientation.
    Edward Hall's model might well have been a useful "academic" analysis in past times but one cannot categorise all pinays as part of any polychronic cultural group in this present society.

For some concrete examples: all of the pinays (and pinoys) that I have worked with at a professional level are extremely punctual, and they very quickly adopt a monochronic approach when it matters.

The call-center workers know that they get fired if they are late.

As PJ suggests, when it matters pinays have a very strong "right now" orientation (note I said "when it matters").

All of us have received the regular text "Hi. What are you doing right now?"

My reply of "scratching my balls" or "picking my nose" was not the sort of answer they expected or understood.

Bottom line: Filipino culture just sometimes requires time-consuming interaction. To get back to the earlier metaphor, I think Westerners' time orientation points to expectations that everything should happen "right now." In Philippine culture nothing that involves human interaction happens right now.
    Except when they have an "emergency" and want you to send "help"; they fully expect that to happen "right now!"

My argument was about time orientation, despite the faulty illustration

With all due respect SK I think you have described the female species in general the world over. In particular, obviously you have never been married to an Australian woman. Nothing special about filipinas in this scenario, except maybe the group shopping thing. All women do this. Everywhere. My experience anyway.
    The female "getting ready" illustration was probably misplaced, but the story about "meeting the friends" illustrates my basic argument. The distinction I was making between Western and Filipino time orientation is well explained in Edward Hall's model of monochronic versus polychronic cultures. In monochronic cultures "interpersonal relations are subordinated to present schedule." That is, the show must go on, regardless of dramas in the actors' personal lives. In Germany they say you can set your watch by train departures and arrivals at the Hauptbahnhof. Western European, Australian, and North American cultures are characteristically monochronistic.

In polychronic cultures "present schedule is subordinate to interpersonal relations." Since Hall served in the Philippines in WWII, we might assume that Philippine culture sharpened his thinking about polychronic time orientation. So Skip arrived at NAIA with a planned schedule that included round up mate, travel to hotel, climb in the sack, fuck, and go to sleep. But Skip found himself enmeshed in Philippine cultural expectations in which interpersonal relations among the five of us superseded Skip's "present schedule."

I really wanted to spare readers this abstract explanation. I have attached a more detailed explanation below for those who care about it. But I contend the difference in time orientation is worth considering for anybody who crash lands in the Philippines bearing a "right now" Western time orientation.

RK, hopefully you could see beyond the thicket of murky illustration, understood my basic argument and agreed with its premises. Seems to me it might have applied to your story from several months ago about the woman who arrived late for meeting you at Mall of Asia.
    Attached Files

MNL Terminal 1

You no longer have to fill out the Embarkation Card upon departure anymore unless you are OFW. The Phil government figured out they can save billions by eliminating it, yet alone on the storage of them. Still have to fill one out upon arrival. Also payment of P550 departure tax is still required.

Filipinas are closer to on time than others

With all due respect SK I think you have described the female species in general the world over. In particular, obviously you have never been married to an Australian woman.

Nothing special about filipinas in this scenario, except maybe the group shopping thing. All women do this. Everywhere. My experience anyway.
    In my experience Filipinas have been better and closer to being on time than American women that I have dated. Given the jeepneys, trikes and traffic jams they must endure I am surprised they get there in a reasonable amount of time. I have had American dates standing in front the mirror for hours getting ready thinking they were doing me a favor!

I think underlying FF's reply is an important message about time orientation within Filipino culture. We laugh at Filipinas arriving on "Filipino time" (I. E, an hour or more late) , but Filipino time is about much more than just arriving late for things. Anything with a component of social interaction in it takes more time in the Philippines. For a Filipina to "go out" involves an inordinate amount of time putting on and rejecting various clothing choices; time in front of the mirror dealing with hair, makeup, eyebrows and eyelashes; packing all the necessary cell phones and other junk into her purse; and so on. She may need to shower, even if she already showered earlier in the day. Or try going with a family on a shopping outing: just multiply the woman's preparation time by the number of people going shopping. Okay, I exaggerate, but not much.

<SNIP
    With all due respect SK I think you have described the female species in general the world over. In particular, obviously you have never been married to an Australian woman.

Nothing special about filipinas in this scenario, except maybe the group shopping thing. All women do this. Everywhere. My experience anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbaf  [View Original Post]
    I think you missed the key words in his post " (are you married, how old are you, etc)." She was not looking for Mr. Right Now, she was looking for Mr. Right.

Robb
    You may be right about her intentions, although if "uncle" was with her when she called, those questions might have been for his benefit-or even at his request.

I think underlying FF's reply is an important message about time orientation within Filipino culture. We laugh at Filipinas arriving on "Filipino time" (i.e., an hour or more late), but Filipino time is about much more than just arriving late for things. Anything with a component of social interaction in it takes more time in the Philippines. For a Filipina to "go out" involves an inordinate amount of time putting on and rejecting various clothing choices; time in front of the mirror dealing with hair, makeup, eyebrows and eyelashes; packing all the necessary cell phones and other junk into her purse; and so on. She may need to shower, even if she already showered earlier in the day. Or try going with a family on a shopping outing: just multiply the woman's preparation time by the number of people going shopping. Okay, I exaggerate, but not much.

I recall an occasion a few years ago when I was to be met by a woman at the airport after about 26 hours of travel from the states. She insisted she had never been to terminal one, so a friend who had been an OFW to Japan would travel with her. Oh great! Now I had been with the woman once before, so I knew what I was getting into with her, literally and figuratively. But when I found her in the crowd waiting behind the fence at the lower taxi level, she was accompanied by three people: the girlfriend, a bakla friend, and her mother. I still don't know why her mother was there; perhaps to give blessing to her daughter's impending fornication with me.

So we all piled into the cab and rode to my hotel. They all insisted on checking out the hotel room, including checking out the mattress and the TV. I was horny but jet-lagged and was not a happy camper. Turns out that, although it was now nearly midnight, they had left for the airport early and had not had supper. An hour or so later an even hornier Skip was on the tab for dinner for everybody at the Aristocrat. Back to the hotel via taxi. This time they don't insist on going to the room, but there is conversation between daughter and mother that adds up to asking Skip for taxi fare home. Probably another 200 pesos or so beyond what I already owed the taxi driver. But within 30 minutes Skip and the woman were in delightful, lustful exertion, and it continued for the next several nights. I never saw mother again, but the bakla friend came around one time wanting to "party" on Skip's money. That lasted for about two beers, and then Skip feigned tiredness in order to get back to the hotel and into another night's horizontal recreation.

Bottom line: Filipino culture just sometimes requires time-consuming interaction. To get back to the earlier metaphor, I think Westerners' time orientation points to expectations that everything should happen "right now." In Philippine culture nothing that involves human interaction happens right now. I suspect many Westerners who visit for limited time periods never quite figure that out.

Very short layover

Quote Originally Posted by Revolt  [View Original Post]
    6 hr layover. I found a few online agencies but not sure if they are reliable though. I don't want to go to Air Force One and take too much time hunting. Do you have to pay a fee if you take them to your hotel? I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks guys!
    Six hours is, comparatively speaking, a very short layover. Also, you hint at a hotel but don't tell us which one you will be using. You also don't say whether your layover is between domestic or international flights, or one of each. If you come in on an international flight, it may be upwards of 45 minutes before you clear immigration, luggage pickup, and customs. Another drive of 30 minutes or more via taxi in each direction from airport to hotel and return. You need to be back to the airport an hour or so before departure for a domestic flight or 90 minutes minimum for an outgoing international flight. It will take time to check in and check out of the hotel. At checkout at many hotels you will have to wait while they send somebody to check the room to make sure you didn't steal anything.

You could reduce travel time if you stay at the Manila Airport Inn, which is walking distance from NAIA Terminal 1 (International flights) and walk or taxi to NAIA 2 (Philippine Airlines). But even Manila Airport Inn is a taxi ride away from Terminal 3, where most other domestic flights originate. And if you already have reservations at a hotel, that shapes the p4p outlets you can realistically consider. Most field reports about agency outcalls suggest it may take upwards of an hour before the woman shows up. Any way you calculate, you are not going to have much time for recreation in your hotel room.

X was giving you good advice by suggesting you just go to Air Force One. It's a massage place with several levels of fishbowl (levels of perceived quality or experience of the women) and offers full service. It's a few minutes drive from the airport and most cabbies can find it. Prices vary according to the time of day, and whatever the house asks for an hour, you figure to give the same amount to the woman. Most field reports have described the fishbowls as having attractive choices. It will cost you more than some other takeout places, but your hotel cost will be zero.

I think you could have easily handled this way better, way mor diplomatically and ultimately way more successfully. Getting upset in the Philipines serves no purpose and doesn't gain you anything.

The girls don't keep notes because there are 100's of guys all saying they will be visiting and some do some don't. They can't remember one from another, they have no need to.

She bought her uncle along, who may have been her uncle or not, as she's been stiffed before by a foreigner. Thats why.

What you could / should have done was be firm and direct and say Hi Uncle, I will be enjoying some time with the girl, so here's 200p, go buy a beer or smokes or jollibee and the girl will tell you when she's ready to leave.

That way, all would have been happy and you would have got laid.

P250 or sex and you chose the first option.

Playing the game in Philippines requires a flexible approach and being the hard ass will see you getting frustrated by these type of situations and they occur often.
    I think you missed the key words in his post " (are you married, how old are you, etc)." She was not looking for Mr. Right Now, she was looking for Mr. Right.

I think his story was funny. He wasted time and pesos. If you live in the PI and have time to deal with time and drama, then those sites work well, but if you are short term visitor, time is not on your side.

Robb

Good info and advice FF. I think I would have been plenty pissed if an uncle had shown up as well. Nevertheless, I would have been a nice guy, maybe bought all of us a cheap lunch or coffee, and then tried to excuse myself. Uncle would probably have vetted me and then it's like taking candy from a baby. Maybe. LOL.

Free2, please mellow out a little. Not only are you going to give yourself a heart attack, you're screwing things up for the guys who come after you. No wait, that isn't true! Any guy coming after you will look like Prince Charming.

I once spent a good part of a day meeting the whole clan of a gal in Davao. I finally grew fed up and said I had to go pick up my laundry. Which was true. She insisted on helping me. Well, the laundry bag wasn't heavy, so I didn't need help. But she sure helped me take the edge off once we got back to my room. Those of you who still remember the original "plaid bell bottom" photo will have seen her cute little snatch. X.

I think you could have easily handled this way better, way mor diplomatically and ultimately way more successfully. Getting upset in the Philipines serves no purpose and doesn't gain you anything.

The girls don't keep notes because there are 100's of guys all saying they will be visiting and some do some don't. They can't remember one from another, they have no need to.

She bought her uncle along, who may have been her uncle or not, as she's been stiffed before by a foreigner. Thats why.

What you could / should have done was be firm and direct and say Hi Uncle, I will be enjoying some time with the girl, so here's 200p, go buy a beer or smokes or jollibee and the girl will tell you when she's ready to leave.

That way, all would have been happy and you would have got laid.

P250 or sex and you chose the first option.

Playing the game in Philippines requires a flexible approach and being the hard ass will see you getting frustrated by these type of situations and they occur often.

6 hrs layover

Quote Originally Posted by X Man  [View Original Post]
    How long is the layover and what is the time frame? In the past people have recommended Air Force One. They have a web page.
    6 hr layover. I found a few online agencies but not sure if they are reliable though. I don't want to go to Air Force One and take too much time hunting. Do you have to pay a fee if you take them to your hotel? I guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks guys!

Posting Limitations