Thread: Manila

+ Add Report
Page 37 of 915 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 87 137 537 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Public Transit

Though I've been an avid user of mass transit in other countries in which I've lived, I never use it (aside from taxis) here. The jeeps are uncomfortable, hot, slow and, in my view not all that safe. The MRT is too crowded, inefficient and unreliable, and it often goes nowhere near where I want to be. As I've written before, I've become an increasingly frequent customer of Uber, as it's the safest, most comfortable and reliable transport option I've found here. The Uber X cars are no more expensive than taxis and never try to rip you off.

GE.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutsori  [View Original Post]
    For your $1000 I reckon you can be +/- p500 to p1500 depending on where and when you change money.

If you stay at that condo you won't be using the Skyway to go to Solaire. For nearby sightseeing you have Tagaytay and for beaches it's Subic, Zambales or Batangas.
    Someone said they had a private driver for about 400 p a day and he could go anywhere etc. Anyone know this guy?

PC out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantot  [View Original Post]
    PCP if this is your maiden trip so want simplification and ease of use. Forget about Jeeps, the MRT and shuttles. Hutsori obviously lives there, how he travels efficiently as a resident and you will travel as a first time stranger in a strange land short term tourist is night and day. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the legendarily corrupt Manila taxi corps.

1) First make sure you exchange at least $20 usd / Euro at the airport ask for all in 100,50 and 20 peso notes.

2) Take the metered yellow taxis at the airport and insist they turn on the meter before you tell them your destination.

3) Before getting into any manila taxi tell him your destination and ask him if he knows where is if he hesitates slam the door and try the next one. They are notorious for driving in circles and asking for directions.

4) Once you determine he knows where the hell you are going ask- Do you have a meter? Make sure he turns it on before you get ten meters otherwise demand he stop and get out.

5) You will need those small bills because none of these guys, after even a 10 hour shift ever has change, supposedly.

6) Hopefully you will encounter the 15 -20% of Manila cabbies who just take you where you want to go without all the games.

If the fellow is amongst the aforementioned simple honest taxi drivers who follow rules please tip him modestly and he will appreciate it greatly. If he pulls any of the crap in 1-5 just get your gear and move on. Never encourage that behavior.

Once you get a girl let her be in charge of all transportation communications while observing rules 1 - 5 are being followed quietly.

Forget the public transportation it can be quick for a savvy local but an impenetrable cluster fuck for an unguided first timer. If the girl says take the jeep etc. With her hell yes follow her. The girls are used to traveling like Hutsori does their whole lives.
    Good info sir.

I am trying to get a DIA gal to meet me at the airport and pick me up. We can go to Condo from there and maybe no issues with cab etc. I will actually be changing some pesos here in Hong Kong for the trip. Seems like good rates here.

PC out.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoast1  [View Original Post]
    Concur. I make a habit of confirming, via email, my room appointment requirements (regardless of what the website says). The bed size you speak of is 'twin', or 'single', and its a no-no on my list.

Hopefully bed big enough for 2 Pinays and me lol

Many pilipine hotels offer a 'full', 'double' or even what they call a 'queen' bed, which is not such at all: its two twin beds pushed together, with a queen bedsheet pulled over top (or worse, sometimes the twin bedsheets are on top of the mattress, and the beds are simply pushed together). Those beds often push apart in the night, and myself or my tart start to fall to the floor. Talk about culture clash and vocabulary confusion: explaining the next day to the front desk will simply draw the vacant stare from hotel personnel; as they will not understand that your two twin beds are not a 'queen' bed. "Very big that bed sir". Please move me to a room that does not have small beds pushed together. "We don't have that sir. Queen or twin. You choose".
    Its looks like one bed for 2. Might have to go to the floor if not.

PC out.

Early AM arrival

Contact the hotel before you book. Especially if it is a 5 star. I have never had anyone say NO to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanut  [View Original Post]
    Flights from Canada on PAL arrive at about 05:00. On my first trip to Manila my travel agent in Canada contacted the Dusit and arranged an early check in for me at no extra charge. When I arrived at the hotel the staff were perfect and welcoming saying "we have been expecting you Mr. Nut" and up to the room I went. My suggestion is if you are using a travel agent it may be worth having your travel agent send an e-mail requesting an early check in on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach  [View Original Post]
    Have you checked the size of the bed? I had to stay in Manila for a night on my outbound trip and I booked at one of these cheaper budget places. Pictures looked good and the room was big. When I got there, The room was still big but had the smallest bed I have seen. It was what little kids sleep on. I was too tired to argue and spent the night falling off the bed and getting back on, repeated through out the night. It just not ruined my night but also the day as I was tired and had to forget about any day time action plans.
    Concur. I make a habit of confirming, via email, my room appointment requirements (regardless of what the website says). The bed size you speak of is 'twin', or 'single', and its a no-no on my list. Many pilipine hotels offer a 'full', 'double' or even what they call a 'queen' bed, which is not such at all: its two twin beds pushed together, with a queen bedsheet pulled over top (or worse, sometimes the twin bedsheets are on top of the mattress, and the beds are simply pushed together). Those beds often push apart in the night, and myself or my tart start to fall to the floor. Talk about culture clash and vocabulary confusion: explaining the next day to the front desk will simply draw the vacant stare from hotel personnel; as they will not understand that your two twin beds are not a 'queen' bed. "Very big that bed sir". Please move me to a room that does not have small beds pushed together. "We don't have that sir. Queen or twin. You choose".

Cheaper places in metro Manila

Quote Originally Posted by Pcpc1688  [View Original Post]
    Any comments on if I should stay at this place? I'm getting a great rate of $30 day and thought about Makati area too but need to make a decision soon LOL.

SM Light Residences, Madison, Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines.
    Have you checked the size of the bed? I had to stay in Manila for a night on my outbound trip and I booked at one of these cheaper budget places. Pictures looked good and the room was big. When I got there, The room was still big but had the smallest bed I have seen. It was what little kids sleep on. I was too tired to argue and spent the night falling off the bed and getting back on, repeated through out the night. It just not ruined my night but also the day as I was tired and had to forget about any day time action plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Amavida  [View Original Post]
    That's an extremely busy area (traffic, noise, pollution). It may look close to P. Burgos on the map but you are 'going to find commuting back and forth costly & time consuming in my experience. Hotels in Manila are overpriced. Might as well stay in a nice one close to your mongering and avoid the stress.

AV.
    AV,

I don't plan on being at P Burgos except maybe 2 times as the most.

The condo on 50th flr so noise hopefully less that high LOL.

Anyway I will travel by cab in the early morning or late at night not travel. I hate traffic as well.

Any other suggestions will be great

PC out.

I'm sure I will change at least 1000 usd for this trip or more depending so 44000 pesos at least.

Seems I will play more poker at Soleil since its new and such so I should take taxi and use Skyway I suppose. 20 p is. 50 cents usd so I can swing it LOL however if some of these DIA dates work well, I play on staying at the condo and fucking more LOL.

Then letting the girl take me around places and go site seeing or to the beach for a day what have you and whatever strikes our fancy. If I take a non pro gal, I suspect I will of course feed her well and buy her some small gifts. What is the usual for this type of situation on Philo as I'm sure its not too different than any other 3rd world country and give her some cash at the end of it all.

PC out.
    For your $1000 I reckon you can be +/- p500 to p1500 depending on where and when you change money.

If you stay at that condo you won't be using the Skyway to go to Solaire. For nearby sightseeing you have Tagaytay and for beaches it's Subic, Zambales or Batangas.

Hello All,

Any comments on if I should stay at this place? Main purpose is not really hanging out over at P Burgos every night but takeout and some DIA pre set up dates. Also perhaps play some poker at Solaire. Would this location be inconvenient as on map it seems far from these places. Any helpful comments appreciated here or PM.

I'm getting a great rate of $30 day and thought about Makati area too but need to make a decision soon LOL.

PC out.
    That's an extremely busy area (traffic, noise, pollution). It may look close to P. Burgos on the map but you are 'going to find commuting back and forth costly & time consuming in my experience. Hotels in Manila are overpriced. Might as well stay in a nice one close to your mongering and avoid the stress.

AV.

Is taxi or Metro better to go there as I am flexible time wise as no rush to anywhere really haha. Just a short vacation and hooking up.

also are there pre paid SIM cards for my phone at airport or do I need to go to mobile store to buy. Best place to change USD to pesos?

PC out.
    PCP if this is your maiden trip so want simplification and ease of use. Forget about Jeeps, the MRT and shuttles. Hutsori obviously lives there, how he travels efficiently as a resident and you will travel as a first time stranger in a strange land short term tourist is night and day. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the legendarily corrupt Manila taxi corps.

1) First make sure you exchange at least $20 usd / Euro at the airport ask for all in 100,50 and 20 peso notes.

2) Take the metered yellow taxis at the airport and insist they turn on the meter before you tell them your destination.

3) Before getting into any manila taxi tell him your destination and ask him if he knows where is if he hesitates slam the door and try the next one. They are notorious for driving in circles and asking for directions.

4) Once you determine he knows where the hell you are going ask- Do you have a meter? Make sure he turns it on before you get ten meters otherwise demand he stop and get out.

5) You will need those small bills because none of these guys, after even a 10 hour shift ever has change, supposedly.

6) Hopefully you will encounter the 15 -20% of Manila cabbies who just take you where you want to go without all the games.

If the fellow is amongst the aforementioned simple honest taxi drivers who follow rules please tip him modestly and he will appreciate it greatly. If he pulls any of the crap in 1-5 just get your gear and move on. Never encourage that behavior.

Once you get a girl let her be in charge of all transportation communications while observing rules 1 - 5 are being followed quietly.

Forget the public transportation it can be quick for a savvy local but an impenetrable cluster fuck for an unguided first timer. If the girl says take the jeep etc. With her hell yes follow her. The girls are used to traveling like Hutsori does their whole lives.

Define "better". I use mass transport more often than taxis during the daytime. It's certainly cheaper. But I also weigh time and effort wih the saving. For example traveling from my condo in Makati to Resorts World by taxi is p120 plus p20 for the Skyway toll. It usually takes less than 15 minutes. Using mass transit would be considerably slower involving a jeep ride, then the MRT, and the RW shuttle. During the daytime the MRT / LRT may be better, but during the rush hours they are packed. Of course getting a taxi during rush hour or when it rains can be difficult too. The MRT / LRT cease service at approx 1030 pm. People are advised to use taxis at night, and I usually do so unless I have a short commute when I'll use the jeep. You can pick up a SIM easily at most markets and convenience stores too. I don't know what terminal you'll be arriving at; in terminal 3 there is a small grocer that sells SIMs for small mark up, p50 for a p40 Smart SIM. Keep in mind that there are three types of SIMs, so finding the micro or nano SIM can be a bit more challenging. The Muslim money changers usually have the best rate except on the weekend when they lower the rate by p1 - p1.5. You can usually find money changers in or near malls, but I don't know about your neighbourhood. The banks rates aren't greatly different, but the transaction is slow. If you're here for a short stay and not changing thousands of dollars / euros then the few hundred extra pesos you get by using a Muslim may not be worth the hassle if the journey is far.
    I'm sure I will change at least 1000 usd for this trip or more depending so 44000 pesos at least.

Seems I will play more poker at Soleil since its new and such so I should take taxi and use Skyway I suppose. 20 p is. 50 cents usd so I can swing it LOL however if some of these DIA dates work well, I play on staying at the condo and fucking more LOL.

Then letting the girl take me around places and go site seeing or to the beach for a day what have you and whatever strikes our fancy. If I take a non pro gal, I suspect I will of course feed her well and buy her some small gifts. What is the usual for this type of situation on Philo as I'm sure its not too different than any other 3rd world country and give her some cash at the end of it all.

PC out.

Is taxi or Metro better to go there as I am flexible time wise as no rush to anywhere really haha. Just a short vacation and hooking up.

also are there pre paid SIM cards for my phone at airport or do I need to go to mobile store to buy. Best place to change USD to pesos?

PC out.
    Define "better". I use mass transport more often than taxis during the daytime. It's certainly cheaper. But I also weigh time and effort wih the saving. For example traveling from my condo in Makati to Resorts World by taxi is p120 plus p20 for the Skyway toll. It usually takes less than 15 minutes. Using mass transit would be considerably slower involving a jeep ride, then the MRT, and the RW shuttle. During the daytime the MRT / LRT may be better, but during the rush hours they are packed. Of course getting a taxi during rush hour or when it rains can be difficult too. The MRT / LRT cease service at approx 1030 pm. People are advised to use taxis at night, and I usually do so unless I have a short commute when I'll use the jeep. You can pick up a SIM easily at most markets and convenience stores too. I don't know what terminal you'll be arriving at; in terminal 3 there is a small grocer that sells SIMs for small mark up, p50 for a p40 Smart SIM. Keep in mind that there are three types of SIMs, so finding the micro or nano SIM can be a bit more challenging. The Muslim money changers usually have the best rate except on the weekend when they lower the rate by p1 - p1.5. You can usually find money changers in or near malls, but I don't know about your neighbourhood. The banks rates aren't greatly different, but the transaction is slow. If you're here for a short stay and not changing thousands of dollars / euros then the few hundred extra pesos you get by using a Muslim may not be worth the hassle if the journey is far.

1) Depends on what time you plan to go to Burgos. Traffic starts getting heavy from 4 pm and doesn't abate until 9 pm or even later. Your taxi should be from p100 to p150.

How much is taxi from airport and what kind should I take not to get clipped and On meter better I suppose?

2) For meeting DIA girls it's a decent location because it's very near Boni Ave MRT and EDSA, and this makes it easy for a girl to visit you. If you're the type that wants to meet at a public location first you're a short distance from Shangri La mall. There's also a Robinson's Galleria and SM Mega Mall close by. Quezon City, which is Metro Manila's largest city, is just down the road; plenty of girls from QC in DIA. BTW, there are several large call centres in the area if you're into morning hookups.

Speaking of MRT system in Manila, is it safe and fast? Whats the call center reference you speak of as Im not sure what u mean by that?

3) Solaire is far, but is a straight shot down EDSA. Like traveling to Burgos the time of day you travel is important. Traveling to / from SM Light Residences and Solaire may actually be easier and faster than doing so from a place near Burgos.

PC out.

Hello All,

Any comments on if I should stay at this place? Main purpose is not really hanging out over at P Burgos every night but takeout and some DIA pre set up dates. Also perhaps play some poker at Solaire. Would this location be inconvenient as on map it seems far from these places. Any helpful comments appreciated here or PM.

I'm getting a great rate of $30 day and thought about Makati area too but need to make a decision soon LOL.

PC out.
    1) Depends on what time you plan to go to Burgos. Traffic starts getting heavy from 4 pm and doesn't abate until 9 pm or even later. Your taxi should be from p100 to p150.

2) For meeting DIA girls it's a decent location because it's very near Boni Ave MRT and EDSA, and this makes it easy for a girl to visit you. If you're the type that wants to meet at a public location first you're a short distance from Shangri La mall. There's also a Robinson's Galleria and SM Mega Mall close by. Quezon City, which is Metro Manila's largest city, is just down the road; plenty of girls from QC in DIA. BTW, there are several large call centres in the area if you're into morning hookups.

3) Solaire is far, but is a straight shot down EDSA. Like traveling to Burgos the time of day you travel is important. Traveling to / from SM Light Residences and Solaire may actually be easier and faster than doing so from a place near Burgos.

Posting Limitations