Thread: Santo Domingo

+ Add Report
Page 1 of 758 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 501 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Laser-like focus

Quote Originally Posted by Mfins  [View Original Post]
    If anyone goes by or has any info on baby dolls please share it. When I was there a few weeks ago it was closed. Would like to go back to SD but, would like to know if baby dolls has reopened.
    Your return to DR depends on wether one club is open or not? Must be a great place but aren't there others just as good?

If anyone goes by or has any info on baby dolls please share it. When I was there a few weeks ago it was closed. Would like to go back to SD but, would like to know if baby dolls has reopened.

I saw Mario Batalia photo and wondered about it

Quote Originally Posted by Parkinsons  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for the cheating 3-some story.
    I guess I look like him with a bit less hair on my head. My Crocs are black but I do have shorts like that.

Car rental

Quote Originally Posted by ItsXJustXJizz  [View Original Post]
    So what rental car place do you use?
    I can only attest to having insurance bought in the DR at the counter, Yes its a bit of a rip-off, but it is a no hassle issue; I rented a care one time and windshield was busted completely by me, when I was done with the car I dropped the car at the airport rental office and no one said a word as I had purchased their max insurance policy. Definitely worth it IMHO.

Reports

Tempoecorto
    Quote Originally Posted by SavePros321  [View Original Post]
    So it may not be too useful for someone who is taking the rental all over the island, but if you happen to get in a wreck on while in SD or Santiago, then maybe so.
    I would not dispute your logic. It is plausible and perhaps it is more for the locals as someone suggested. I do not know of you but I have never even seen it on the menu of insurance offered nor have I seen any comment here by someone who was ill fated to have used that service, hence I am dubious. Besides, if I were to stay only in SD or Santiago, I would not need a car. It is when I wanted to see the island, I thought of renting and I do think that driving sober, under right weather conditions, and driving defensively, as another commentator rightly put, one should not get too worried, at least I am not. My brush so far with the locals, especially the lads in the DR, when I have had trouble on the road, has been only positive.

The Cop

Quote Originally Posted by MrGogo  [View Original Post]
    Once Sabor had an accident in SD when HE almost hit a cop on a motochoncho but the cop kicked the car to keep us from hitting him. We all went our separate ways and Sabor had the damage fixed at a bootleg shop in SD for 40 usd. If we had taken that car back to the rental agency with the damage they would have probably charged him 500 usd at a minimum.
    That shit was hilarious. Good thing I can laugh about it now. Since then I've had two others. I'll tell you about it when I see you. Good times!

Reports

SavePros321
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempoecorto  [View Original Post]
    I think that Casa del conductor is total BS. I do not know of one rental company that offers it and I rent cars there. Besides those casas are available only in Santo Domingo and Santiago, that I know of. If say, you have a bad accident in Monte Cristi say in the evening, there is no way in hell, the cops are going to bring you down to Santiago. At least no one has yet told me the contrary.
    Well maybe it is your fault for assuming the insurance would apply to places outside of SD or Santiago. We are talking about a third-world country here, so I would not be surprised if Casa Del Conductor is not "island-wide comprehensive coverage" and only applies to places where the casas are located, as you stated above; which means the coverage option must exist even though you have not had it offered to you.

So it may not be too useful for someone who is taking the rental all over the island, but if you happen to get in a wreck on while in SD or Santiago, then maybe so.

Casa del conductor

Has anyone on here ever used casa del conductor? To be clear, I am not asking if anyone has ever paid for it, I am asking if anyone has ever used the service. It could help members decide if they want to pay the extra cost if we had some first hand information.

Quote Originally Posted by SavePros321  [View Original Post]
    Pretty much 95% of the people on this forum agree that it is (a good idea). It's the difference between sitting in a hotel room versus sitting in a Dominican jail cell packed with a bunch of other sweaty Dominicans if you end up hitting someone with your vehicle.

Casa del conductor

It is not for tourists. It is aimed at the resident market. You can buy it as an add on to your auto policy. The most important thing is to avoid accidents of course. The way to do that is to concentrate hard, maintain extra distance from other vehicles, and drive very defensively. Basic driving skills you learn as a teenager in Europe or North America are not taught in the Dominican Republic. In fact, drivers are taught to cut off other drivers, back out into oncoming traffic, aggressively cut off other cars rather than merge into traffic, and ignore highway lane markers until another car honks at you. Being aware of these customs will go a long way toward keeping you out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEnternational  [View Original Post]
    If it is so important, as many times as I have rented a car (and from 4 different companies: Nelly, Budget, Avis, Dollar), why has nobody ever tried to sell me casa del conductor insurance as they do the other insurances? If it was not for this board I would not have known anything as such existed.

Reports

Tempoecorto
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEnternational  [View Original Post]
    If it is so important, as many times as I have rented a car (and from 4 different companies: Nelly, Budget, Avis, Dollar), why has nobody ever tried to sell me casa del conductor insurance as they do the other insurances? If it was not for this board I would not have known anything as such existed.
    Bingo! You know a lot better having rented it from other agencies as well and the agencies sure try to sell you insurance.

Reports

Mr Enternational

And My Question Is

Reports

Tempoecorto
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGogo  [View Original Post]
    They got you good brother. I've had flats many times and I just pay a Dominican 150 pesos to put the spare on and 20 minutes later I'm rolling. Then I stop at one of the many shops in the DR and pay 300 pesos for them to plug or fix the flat tire. I hope you didn't return the car with the flat tire in the trunk because you are asking them to fuck you.
    I was in calle Luperon and you may know how desolate that could be. Fortunately I was close to a pueblo even though there was hardly anyone around. It was high noon. The boy (probably 16) who helped me, did indeed look for the spare tire first but it was no good either; I was stupid not to have the pressure checked before leaving the rental agency. Essentially this meant that the boy had to take the tire to some shop (I was halfway between Sosua and Santiago) on the backseat of someone's motorbike holding the tire, to get it plugged or whatever. I did nothing but sit on a chair by the roadside under a tree and drank a beer while all this happened. They could fix it within an hour or so and I paid for the gratitude. The lads did not ask. Where I live, I have AAA because otherwise I would be royally screwed if I were caught in such a dilemma so I was grateful, yes!

No, I did not tell the rental anything. I do not buy insurance there, so there was no need and I had fixed the tire, but dang, I did think that the credit card Insurance will reimburse me such a piddly amount even if I had no credit card payment slip!

Thanks for the info by the way, it will help me in future.

Reports

Tempoecorto
    Quote Originally Posted by Questner  [View Original Post]
    I think you don't understand the coverage on this policy: 'Recibe atencion personalizada para facilitarte en caso de accidente, la gestion policial, judicial y de fianzas en comodas y modernas instalaciones, sin necesidad del ir al destacamento policial y posteriormente a LOS tribunales de transito'.
    Perhaps I do not. I mean I understand the grand sales pitch of the coverage. Casa del conductor means "house of the driver" which as I said exists only in Santiago for the whole of north. So perhaps someone can explain to me how this will work, in the hypothetical case I suggested. Being involved in an accident in MonteCristi at night and dragged to the local police station. I have read about the coverage but have not seen it actually being offered. The rental company (Nelly) I use certainly did not know anything when I asked. I doubt if many police stations are aware of such a policy given the general level of education and training. Perhaps there are some here (who?) who bought the coverage (from whom?) and have actually had an use for this policy? I would like to hear their story. As my personal example with flat tire demonstrated (and it was an US insurance company), anybody can sell a policy for the "peace of mind" while it may not be of much use when the rubber hits the road.

I think that Casa del conductor is total BS. I do not know of one rental company that offers it and I rent cars there. Besides those casas are available only in Santo Domingo and Santiago, that I know of. If say, you have a bad accident in Monte Cristi say in the evening, there is no way in hell, the cops are going to bring you down to Santiago. At least no one has yet told me the contrary.

By the way, I recently had a flat tire and spent about $100 in cash for repairs and paying for people's time and transportation etc. The insurer of the Credit card said, they cannot reimburse me for cash paid. Thank god it was $100 only. An insurance is as good as what it is at crunch time.
    I think you don't understand the coverage on this policy: 'Recibe atencion personalizada para facilitarte en caso de accidente, la gestion policial, judicial y de fianzas en comodas y modernas instalaciones, sin necesidad del ir al destacamento policial y posteriormente a LOS tribunales de transito'.

Casa del conductor

Agree, totally agree.

By the way, I recently had a flat tire and spent about $100 in cash for repairs and paying for people's time and transportation etc. The insurer of the Credit card said, they cannot reimburse me for cash paid. Thank god it was $100 only. An insurance is as good as what it is at crunch time.

Posting Limitations