Thread: Jakarta

+ Add Report
Page 1 of 621 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 501 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KoperenKarel  [View Original Post]
    I think this is a slightly strange post regarding communication.

Bahasa Indonesia ("Indonesian language") is not a very difficult language to master at a basic level. Advanced Indonesian is a completely different story, but can be ignored here. With a basic vocabulary of a few hundred words (and having a small dictionary at hand) you can come very far in Indonesia. People will forgive your appalling grammar, because they appreciate the simple fact that you try, and they will understand what you are trying to communicate faster than you think. When you are in another country I think it is a matter of courtesy to at least try to speak the local language and not expect everybody to be fluent in English. They are in their own country, after all.

Regards,

Ko.
    Psychman said he was a Jakarta newbie and it seems he will be in Jakarta for only a few days. I suppose you think he should master Bahasa Indonesia to a basic level for his short trip and learn a few hundred words. I don't, and actually find your reaction to my post more than slightly strange. Sure, learn the very basic language courtesies, even for a short trip, but given how important it is to, for example, get one's laundry back before one leaves town, I don't think it is unreasonable at all, or "slightly strange" to suggest there may be communication problems at the laundries that might not make them a good option for a newbie visitor.

And, by the way, there was nothing in my post to suggest even remotely I thought a visitor to Indonesia should expect everyone to be fluent in English.

Laundry and other dealings with locals

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy5  [View Original Post]
    The laundry situation in Jakarta is more difficult generally than in Bangkok, for example. Although you may run into a laundry--and they are not as easy to find as in Bangkok--many will not speak any English and will not be used to dealing with foreigners. This makes knowing when the laundry would be ready, etc. , virtually impossible. <SNIP>
    I think this is a slightly strange post regarding communication.

Bahasa Indonesia ("Indonesian language") is not a very difficult language to master at a basic level. Advanced Indonesian is a completely different story, but can be ignored here. With a basic vocabulary of a few hundred words (and having a small dictionary at hand) you can come very far in Indonesia. People will forgive your appalling grammar, because they appreciate the simple fact that you try, and they will understand what you are trying to communicate faster than you think. When you are in another country I think it is a matter of courtesy to at least try to speak the local language and not expect everybody to be fluent in English. They are in their own country, after all.

Regards,

Ko.

Since this is not a hotel thread this will be my last post on this subject I entered Shangri La on my way to BATS and it looked tired. Same in India I paid 200 per night, on business trip 5 star hotel, and I would have preferred to have stayed in a modern BKK hotel for 70 a night. That's why I wouldn't stay at a 5 star in Jakarta. Milennium is perfectly fine, yes you don't get glass door shower and marble finish but the rooms are clean, the bed is big and pillows are comfortable, and staff are really nice (same as in Harris). Laundry is pain in the ass you have to itemize items on the form, but I didn't think it was expensive and I like my shirts ironed on hangers. AirBnb might be a good alternative but I like my room service.

Thanks for the input about laundry. I sometimes also travel with old, throw away t shirts and other stuff (I. E. For work outs), so this seems to be a perfect time to get rid of such stuff.

Thanks!

Laundry in Hotel

That might well work at many of the four-star and less hotels, like the Mercure Kota, and since it looks like Psychman is going to stay there it may be the best option. At the five-stars, like the Grand Hyatt, the hotel laundry service is ridiculously expensive. From what you are saying, it would seem the more moderately priced hotels are also moderately priced on laundry service.
    My experience is in Atlet Century, Ibis Slipi, Ambhara, Harris FX and I'm forgetting a few. That's 3 - 4 star, so I guess you're right on that point. In my opinion it's not only laundry that's ridiculously expensive in 5-star hotels, so I don't stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by KoperenKarel  [View Original Post]
    I always use the hotel laundry service. Not too expensive and next day return of your clothing. Beats searching for a laundry service and your stuff gets returned to your room.
    That might well work at many of the four-star and less hotels, like the Mercure Kota, and since it looks like Psychman is going to stay there it may be the best option. At the five-stars, like the Grand Hyatt, the hotel laundry service is ridiculously expensive. From what you are saying, it would seem the more moderately priced hotels are also moderately priced on laundry service.

Laundry

The laundry situation in Jakarta is more difficult generally than in Bangkok, for example. Although you may run into a laundry--and they are not as easy to find as in Bangkok--many will not speak any English and will not be used to dealing with foreigners. This makes knowing when the laundry would be ready, etc. , virtually impossible. At some of the malls, for example Plaza Indonesia, there will be dry cleaners, but they generally do not turn things around overnight, and they are not much cheaper, if cheaper at all, than a dry cleaner in the States, particularly because they will dry clean everything, including socks. When I stayed in North Jakarta, one of the hotel lounge staff would bring my laundry to some place off-site, but that was only after I had become a regular and he would therefore do that favor for me.

So, for Jakarta I ended up buying a lot of ex officio clothing, since they are designed to dry quickly after being washed in a sink or bathtub. And when I need to use "regular clothing," I resort to dry cleaners. But if someone here has better options, I'd love to hear them.
    I always use the hotel laundry service. Not too expensive and next day return of your clothing. Beats searching for a laundry service and your stuff gets returned to your room.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychman  [View Original Post]
    First, thank for all your feedback to my first question. Boots up in two weeks, and will be in town for ten days. Starting at the Mercure Kota for six nights, and then may stay at the Mellenium or somewhere else central. I will wait to book.

Now packing, and a silly question I cannot find. In the PI and LOS, you find laundry places everywhere that are cheap and fast. Is it the same in Jakarta (and then in Bandung? That will affect my packing a bit. I am a bit of a committed workout nut, and like to change clothes a good deal after getting sweaty in the heat anyhow, so want to get a sense of how much I will need to pack.

Oh, and if you know a book place near the Mercure Kota, let me know. If anyone is in town from the 12th of Feb to about the 21st, and would like to share a meal or mongering experience, or hit a "normal" club, I am all for it.
    The laundry situation in Jakarta is more difficult generally than in Bangkok, for example. Although you may run into a laundry--and they are not as easy to find as in Bangkok--many will not speak any English and will not be used to dealing with foreigners. This makes knowing when the laundry would be ready, etc. , virtually impossible. At some of the malls, for example Plaza Indonesia, there will be dry cleaners, but they generally do not turn things around overnight, and they are not much cheaper, if cheaper at all, than a dry cleaner in the States, particularly because they will dry clean everything, including socks. When I stayed in North Jakarta, one of the hotel lounge staff would bring my laundry to some place off-site, but that was only after I had become a regular and he would therefore do that favor for me.

So, for Jakarta I ended up buying a lot of ex officio clothing, since they are designed to dry quickly after being washed in a sink or bathtub. And when I need to use "regular clothing," I resort to dry cleaners. But if someone here has better options, I'd love to hear them.

Laundry

First, thank for all your feedback to my first question. Boots up in two weeks, and will be in town for ten days. Starting at the Mercure Kota for six nights, and then may stay at the Mellenium or somewhere else central. I will wait to book.

Now packing, and a silly question I cannot find. In the PI and LOS, you find laundry places everywhere that are cheap and fast. Is it the same in Jakarta (and then in Bandung? That will affect my packing a bit. I am a bit of a committed workout nut, and like to change clothes a good deal after getting sweaty in the heat anyhow, so want to get a sense of how much I will need to pack.

Oh, and if you know a book place near the Mercure Kota, let me know. If anyone is in town from the 12th of Feb to about the 21st, and would like to share a meal or mongering experience, or hit a "normal" club, I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEZ  [View Original Post]
    I stayed in Millenium hotel which is considered central, it's slightly north of Plaza Indonesia, so it's equidistant to North and Senayan (Blok M / CJ's). Very nice hotel, no problem brining girls, less than 50 dollars per night. Harris in Plaza FX in Senayan also girl friendly, got a room on top floor 47 or 57 can't remember, great views. I never checked with these hotels if they were girlfriendly head of my arrival and I never had any problems; I assume all hotels are that way.
    Most hotels are girl friendly and don't have any issues; that being said, there are Syariah based hotels around town (Sofyan chain being one of them). Don't assume if you don't know. If you stick to Western sounding names, you're probably safe though. I agree with Tommy regarding Akmani. It's easy enough to walk in through the car park and take the lift straight up to the room and avoid the lobby. I've done this often enough the several times I've stayed there.

MD II.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilo77  [View Original Post]
    It's certainly not in the top echelon of star-rated Jakarta hotels and is often overlooked (by myself included) but I think that's its big bonus point, who the hell is going to see you there? And with its location and reasonable price (actually around USD65 according to Agoda) it's certainly one worth bearing in mind when one is pursuing freebies from office and business ladies working in the CBD who aren't my usual low-hanging Blok M fruit.
    Yes, the Millenium is definitely good value for money. I have stayed there before.

If being seen is an issue, and this is my favorite hotel in central Jakarta. Try the Akmani. It is in short walking distance of Sarinah and the best thing is, you can access the hotel at street level via the car park. That is a normal thing to do there, entering via the carpark, as it has a huge staircase to the lobby to climb. Most girls in Jakarta know Sarinah, very easy meeting up there at one of the coffee shops. I have done that many times, mostly online dating.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothy  [View Original Post]
    The Millennium in Jakarta is the worst Millennium I've seen anywhere in the world. That is normally a 5 star hotel in any other country. I was just at the one in Bangkok last week and there is no comparison between the two. That being said, it's way nicer than the Fave Hotel at only a little over double the price.
    It's certainly not in the top echelon of star-rated Jakarta hotels and is often overlooked (by myself included) but I think that's its big bonus point, who the hell is going to see you there? And with its location and reasonable price (actually around USD65 according to Agoda) it's certainly one worth bearing in mind when one is pursuing freebies from office and business ladies working in the CBD who aren't my usual low-hanging Blok M fruit.

The Millennium in Jakarta is the worst Millennium I've seen anywhere in the world. That is normally a 5 star hotel in any other country. I was just at the one in Bangkok last week and there is no comparison between the two. That being said, it's way nicer than the Fave Hotel at only a little over double the price.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEZ  [View Original Post]
    I stayed in Millenium hotel which is considered central, it's slightly north of Plaza Indonesia, so it's equidistant to North and Senayan (Blok M / CJ's). Very nice hotel, no problem brining girls, less than 50 dollars per night.
    That's an excellent suggestion that I had never thought about and I am pleasantly surprised at the price. A respectable business hotel located in a strategic location (with an excellent Japanese restaurant too if I'm not mistaken) and a very reasonable price.

Ticks all the boxes, that just might assist me in making arrangements in the very near future given that I hope to be meeting a very respectable business lady in Sudirman for an afternoon appointment and Blok M cheap and easies wouldn't quite be her style and I don't fancy the long hike out to Kemang or pay through the nose for a room in the Shangri-La or the like for a room I will only be using for a few hours.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OsakaGin11  [View Original Post]
    Thanks very much to Messers Smoothy, LA Guy and Sean EZ for your very helpful advice and information. I can assure you its very much appreciated.
    I stayed overnight at the Fave, Pasar Baru but ONLY because I had a very early train to catch from Gambir Station. I seem to remember that the breakfast was served in the garage basement (could have been another Fave). I don't think the staff could speak much English, so you may face an issue as a first timer.

I would follow Smoothy/LA Guy's advice and look for something similar on a major thoroughfare. From the Fave you'll end up spending more money on taksis and motorbike taksi than you would if you'd chosen somewhere more strategic for 100 k more. If you are going to be walking about or sightseeing why not look at one of the 15 or so hotels on Jl. Wahid Hasyim in Menteng they provide a much better location if you are doing daytime mongering dates, BAts/CJs and English is more commonly used in these hotels
    Last edited by UsPete; 01-25-15 at 17:05. Reason: typos

Posting Limitations